Suicide claims more lives than war, murder, and natural disasters combined.
- In 2014 (latest available data), there were 42,773 reported suicide deaths.
- Suicide is the fourth leading cause of death for adults between the ages of 15 and 64 years in the United States.
- Currently, suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States.
- A person dies by suicide about every 12.3 minutes in the United States.
- Every day, approximately 117 Americans take their own life.
- Ninety percent of all people who die by suicide have a diagnosable psychiatric disorder at the time of their death.
- There are 3.5 male suicides for every female suicide, but three times as many females as males attempt suicide.
- 494,169 people visited a hospital for injuries due to self-harm behavior, suggesting that approximately 12 people harm themselves (not necessarily intending to take their lives) for every reported death by suicide.